Breaking News
Loading...
Saturday 27 August 2011

The fashion fixers: our advice for jeans




Jeans: you should be able to buy a pair that you feel comfortable in whatever your shape. Simple as that. And by comfortable I mean confident that you look nice and not constantly hitching them up, itching or fishing them out of somewhere unmentionable. We are going to give you some broad guidance further down I promise, but first up a basic truth. Through personal experience I've found that you have to put some serious work in yourself to find the perfect pair, and that means putting your changing room emotions to one side, trying lots on and being tenacious.




Despite being able to name at least 50 different jeans brands and being fairly honest about what does and doesn't suit me, the best jeans I've bought have been the result of having a denim consultation in a dedicated jeans shop. I don't actively like someone else in the changing room with me telling me what they think suits me, but the results make it worth it. It's the difference between promising yourself you'll do some exercise and having a personal trainer making you exercise.
Marilyn Monroe wearing jeans in the early 1960s We can't all look like Marilyn, but even she probably had trouble finding the right jeans Photograph: Everett Collection/Rex Features

But the brilliant thing about the sort of jeans consultation I'm talking about here is that they are free. Donna Ida boutiques are amazing, as are the Trilogy shops. I realise that not everyone lives near to these kinds of shops but I think it's worth the train fare on top of the price tag to sort out your jeans preference once and for all - and thereafter you can buy online. If you live near a big department store with a dedicated jeans service, then start there. Anyone who has one to personally recommend, please shout out.

When it comes to which jeans suit what shape, a common problem that women with curvy hips and a relatively small waist have to content with is a gape at the back of their jeans. You can wear a belt, but it doesn't ever really fix the problem. Leedlass talked about Levis Bold Curve jeans, which she thinks addresses this problem well. I've not tried these myself but the concept makes sense and online reviews seem to be more positive than negative. I have a similar body shape and I've found that Tommy Hilfiger's 'Victoria' straight leg works for me, and doesn't come with any annoying fading or fake 'moustaching' across the groin. They're much higher at the back than the front and the side seaming is flattering.
denim comp Donna Ida's denim fitting service is a good example of how to really examine what works for your shape.




BookElfLeeds talked about the issue of short zips and recommended Asda's secret support jeans because she could 'tuck herself in' and they go up to size 22. I feel very much the same way about MiH's Roadtrip jeans, which are soft, disguise my tummy and don't slip down constantly. They cost a bit, but I really think they are worth it. Topshop's 'Leigh' jeans have three different leg lengths and have great tummy-tuckability with a long zip, but alas they stop at size 16.

Uniqlo's jeans are brilliant for the money, and the HeatTech range are amazing for keeping warm - I know one fashion editor who swears by them while watching her kids play sports over the winter. The downside of Uniqlo jeans is that they grow a size after a couple of wears, so I've found that squeezing myself into the smallest size that will actually zip up pays off later.

Finally, it sounds extreme but I'd recommend getting your jeans altered at a dry cleaners. Get the waist right from the off and then if you are not happy with the leg fit, get them altered. Obviously it only works when transforming a well-fitting bootcut into a tapered pair, but I've found it's worth an extra tenner to make the pair in question just right.

Please leave your own links and tips for which jeans worked for you

0 comments:

Post a Comment

E for Entertainment, Entertainment for everyone , this blog provide entertainment for people of every age group. This blog contains Pakistani Dramas Online, Online Movies ,Free Online Live tv Streaming Channels, English and Urdu Stories, Wallpapers, English and Urdu stories, Games, Songs, Softwares and much more.
 
Toggle Footer